405 East Sixth Street
Blue Earth, MN 56013
507-526-5421
Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays from
10 to 12 and 1 to 3 or by special appointment.

Guckeen Post Office

PHOTO PostOfficeLate in the 1880’s, mail was brought by horse and buggy a couple of times a week from Blue Earth to a farm west of Derby. There it was sorted and a general ring was put over the party line telling who had mail. People would usually come on horseback to get their mail. The mail was at the Pleasant Prairie Post Office at the Conn Kennedy farm, a mile and three fourths west of Derby. The post office was there until April 14, 1886, when it moved to Derby.

When the Postal Department was issuing a license, it discovered there was another Derby so the town was named Guckeen, which was the name of several prominent families living in this vicinity. The license came on February 22,1901. The name was changed to Guckeen on February 28, 1901. Mail was dispatched for the first time under the new license March 30, 1901. The Guckeen Post Office officially closed at 3:00 pm on June 30, 1973. At the time of closing, there were thirty three in town subscribers and ninety four on the rural route. Mail is now received on a rural route out of Blue Earth.

Throughout the years, the Post Office location was moved to various locations on Guckeen’s “Main Street.”