405 East Sixth Street
Blue Earth, MN 56013
507-526-5421
Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays from
10 to 12 and 1 to 3 or by special appointment.

Krosch Log House

PHOTO LogHouseThis log house was built just seven years after the first white man settled in Faribault County, during the presidency of Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War. It was built by Casper Lampman in 1862, the year of the Sioux Uprising in Minnesota.

In 1854 Augustus and Emma Krosch immigrated from Germany to Wisconsin and then to the Elmore area in 1864. The first winter they lived in the log house with three other families. Each family was given a corner of the room to call their own. The Krosch family raised eleven children and lived in the log house for 34 years. In 1898 they built a new house and moved into that. One of August and Emma’s sons, Emil (Amos) and his family lived in it until March 1910.

The log house was a gift to the Faribault County Historical Society from Jay and Frances Hickle. (Frances is a niece of the late Marian Drake.) The 18 x 22 thirty ton
two- story pioneer farmhouse was moved to the Faribault County Fairgrounds in Blue Earth in July of 1985.

by George and Mary Huber from Elmore, MN on April 20, 1993