405 E. 6th St., PO Box 142
Blue Earth, MN 56013
Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays from
10 to 12 and 1 to 3 or by special appointment.

Mustard Out At Last

Thursday, October 6, 1892       From the Blue Earth City Post       Submitted by A. B. Russ


    Pvt. George Pfeffer died at the residence of his half brother, Otto Kaupp, in this village shortly after 3pm on Monday.  He was surrounded by sorrowing relatives.  He was born in Rexingen, Wuettemberg, (former German kingdom) Germany, he was 58 years of age last August.  He came to this country in 1858 and settled in Mankato.  The first money he earned in America was used to pay for bringing his half brother, Otto Kaupp, of this city and Mrs. Albertine Eiselt of Barber Township.

   Early in the spring of 1861, almost before the firing upon Fort Sumter had ceased to vibrate through the north, he walked a distance of 100 miles to Fort Snelling and enlisted in Company A of the 1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment.   And was soon on his way to the defense of Washington.  At the disastrous battle of Bull Run in July of 1861 he was badly wounded and left for dead upon the battlefield.  He was reported dead and for four months his relatives mourned him as such a great sacrifice to their adopted country.

    But George was not dead.  A ball had entered his left breast, passed through his body and came out under his shoulder blade (and) after long suffering on the field he was picked up by the confederates and carted to Richmond, Virginia.  Three days after, the battle handkerchief was drawn through his body, through the hole made by the bullet.  As soon as he had recovered he was taken to the rebel prison at Salisbury, North Carolina, where he remained until exchanged in June 1862.

    The first knowledge his brothers and sister had of his existence was four months afterward when they received a letter from him while in a rebel prison.  He came home when exchanged four weeks later, was ordered to join the Army of the Potomac but on account of his disability, was ordered to Benton Barracks at St. Louis where he remained until honorably discharged.  He has never known a well day since but all the long years intervening, he has been a patient through great suffering.  Part of the time he has lied in Mankato and the balance with his brother, Sebastian Pfeffer and Otto Kaupp in this place where he has always had the best of care.  About eighteen months ago he was attacked with diabetes which was the cause of his death.

    Such is a brief sketch of his life, yet a minute account of his awful experience for the years following the battle of Bull Run would read like a romance.

    The funeral accrued at ten AM today, Wednesday, from the Catholic Church.  Rev. Father Cridel of Mankato officiating, a large number of residents and friends were present to show their love and respect for the departed.

    George Pfeffer died October 3rd, 1892.  He was a tailor by trade.